Saturday, May 5, 2012

When it's good, it's good. When it's not...

This has been a week of incredible highs and devastating lows. Such is to be expected in recovery, I suppose.

29 April (midnight)
Joint mobility
2-arm swings, alternating between the 12 and 16 kg
12 kg, 5 sets of 10
16 kg, 5 sets of 10

100 swings total.

30 April (during Smash and the late news)
Joint mobility
8 kg press, 5 sets of 1-2-3 with 1 assisted pull-up (band) between each rung of the ladders
TGU 10 kg 1+1 (felt a little too unsteady on the left side at the push-off with the right foot so I went down a size for the next rounds)
TGU 8 kg 2 sets of 1+1
Rolled an 8, so 8:00 easy 10 kg snatches, 5 rounds of 10+10, 0:30 to spare but was too worn out to attempt any more. I worked hard for the last few reps.

1 May, NWS Seal Beach, 9 am
Joint mobility
Treadmill 3.0, 5%, 20 mins
Spin bike, 6.7 mi, 20 mins

TRX supersets, 10 reps ABAB
Balance lunge (still slight assistance with the right, oblique on the second round)


Hip drop
Standing roll-out

Crunch (low plank)
Pike (low plank)

Evening massage in the salt water hot tub under the jets

2 May
Stayed in bed most of the day

3 May, NWS Seal Beach, 9 am
Joint Mobility
8 kg press, 2 sets of 1-2-3-4 (I was running short on time and had to make it to a doctor's appt, so I cut the presses off early. I had intended to do 5 sets)
I rolled a 9, so 9:00 of swings with the 16 kg. 8 sets of 15 reps!! I felt nauseous for the last couple of minutes and for awhile after. 120 swings... new post-op record!

Treadmill 2.8, 10%, 8 mins

4 May
Stayed in bed most of the day and still quite sore!

I had been feeling better so I jumped back on the exercise wagon pretty hard. It takes a lot out of me, and I tend to forget that I've been through a lot and need to take it easy. When I'm having a bad day or week, it's easy for me to lay off the workouts. But when I feel good, I forget. I'm also getting ready for a trip to NYC so I'm pushing a little harder than I would otherwise. 

I went from going to sleep at 4 am to 10:30 pm, so changing my sleep schedule has been difficult this week. Of course I'm backsliding tonight, but I'm dealing with some personal issues and can't sleep anyway. At my doctor's appointment, a routine check found something I have to keep an eye on. Hopefully it's nothing, but knowing it might be something is a bit unnerving, especially after I've just been through so much with my health. Not knowing my family medical history really sucks at times like this. I went in for a blood draw today, so hopefully everything will be ok with those tests. My primary doctor knows my body has been through a lot and wants to make sure nothing is off. 

Some days I feel good and want to try to go back to working. Other days I don't think I'm ready for committing to a job. I'm just doing the best I can, knowing I'm getting another piece of metal drilled into my other heel as soon as my right foot is recovered enough to support and balance all of my weight. There is still a considerable amount of swelling and of course I'm in a lot of pain. I've recently started taking two pain pills a day because I'm having trouble dealing with the constant pain. I'm in this horrible limbo, not able to work and knowing if I could, I'd just be out for an unknown length of time again soon, with very likely unknown complications. I have no idea when I'll be well enough to work, and I have no idea when my feet will be fully functional again. I haven't decided if I want to get the other foot done asap or wait until the winter. If I go back to work, I'd wait until the winter. If I get it done soon, I might deeply regret it, not being recovered fully. Either way I'm being pressured to get the surgery done and return to work asap so personal issues can be resolved faster.

I just want to know how this all ends!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment