Saturday, March 10, 2012

I am my own worst enemy

Second workout since the 4th surgery

My intentions are always good for working out post-op. Keep the reps and weight low, and stop at the first sign of pain. I can manage that. What I can't manage, however, is to keep the workout light. The endorphins are such a welcome change from the months of darkness on bed rest that I have a really hard time stopping once I get going.

I went to my place of work for this workout (Equinox Newport Beach), for the first time since November. It felt great to be back and see so many familiar faces. I started out with joint mobility, as usual. I then used a TRX for the first time in many months, just to see what I could do with it.

5 reps, 1 round:

squat
left regular balance lunge, right assisted balance lunge
row
press
hip drop
reverse plank with pull-through
low plank crunch
body saw

Then I did a short ladder (1+2+3) of 8 kg presses and overhand pull-ups on the counterbalance machine (I used a CB of 12, staying with the "light" idea). It felt so good that I did another ladder. Form felt fantastic, and I kept lat utilization top priority.

Here come the snatches. I went to my locker to get a 10kg kettlebell. The 8kg really is too light for snatches because I tend to muscle it up instead of using my hips to send it flying overhead, and they only have an old style rubberized thin-handle 8kg and then it jumps to 16kg of Dragon Door's brand. I didn't have any of my own 8kgs with me at work, and I wasn't about to go heavier. The 8kg bells from whatever non-Dragon Door company are so atrocious I refuse to use them.

I did two rounds of 10+10 with the 10kg. It felt amazing. Then I finished up with 10 2-arm swings and 10+10 1-arm swings, also with the 10kg. I was starting to break a sweat. I felt I'd reached my limit and did an extended stretching and joint mobility cool-down on the TRX and off. Then the pain kicked in and I could hardly crutch my way out of there.

My main rationalization for not writing a workout before getting in to do it is that I don't know how much I can do. Now that I have a good idea, it's time to write a workout before I start, and stick to it (within reason of course, backing down when necessary but NOT extending it). This workout took me an hour and a half, start to finish, including all the warming up and cooling down. I'm not happy with that or the amount of pain I'm in. It really didn't feel like I pushed it too far at the time, but I also felt that last workout for 4 days. Painfully so, especially in my hamstrings and triceps. We'll see how my body handles this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment